[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Feb 13 18:55:43 PST 2014

>>> What I want to see depends on the device I'm using. It might be
>>> HTML, it might be PDF, it might be ePub. A nice page that lets me
>>> pick one is just the ticket.

>> Why should a citation be restricted from specifying the form of the
>> document?  Why should human interaction be required before retrieval is
>> possible?

In my case, it's because computers aren't very good at reading my mind,
and it is simply beyond the state of the art to reliably guess what format
a user with some random browser on some random device would like to
see.  It can even vary for the same person with the same browser on the
same device -- my Android caches epub a lot better than HTML, so if I want
to fetch several documents and read them on the plane, epub wins, while if
I just want to look through and find a couple of sentences, HTML wins.

If you look at what existing DOIs link to, you will find this sort of
landing page is absolutely typical.  At least ours won't ask you for
money.

Regards,