[rfc-i] Allowing <artwork> in more places in v3

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Feb 13 10:06:19 PST 2014

On Feb 13, 2014, at 9:55 AM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

> Artwork without a figure would be fine and welcomed for code, but then
> again, why not have a code element that takes care of that?

Differentiating between "artwork" and "code" gets difficult for some things. Further, there is sometimes a reason to have non-code artwork in a paragraph, such as:

The transition from the first state to the second is denoted in this document as:
   state1 --> state2

That's not code, it is clearly artwork, and it doesn't need a figure.

> I don't think we should allow figures to be nested in block level
> elements that denote indentation.  Ditto figure-less artwork.

Right, that's a different thread of discussion.

--Paul Hoffman