[rfc-i] Supporting both ease-of-entry and un-labeled list items in v3

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Feb 13 08:55:13 PST 2014

On Feb 12, 2014, at 12:45 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2014-02-12 20:57, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 2014, at 11:47 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> We can support both inline elements (text, <xref>) and block elements (<t>), but why would we want to allow to combine them?
>>
>> Because it makes it easier to create an Internet Draft, which is a design goal. Compare the current proposal:
>>
>>    <list style="symbols">
>>       <li>This is the first element with a bullet.</li>
>>       <li>This is the second element with a bullet.
>>          <t>This is part of the second element,
>>          but it does not have a bullet</t></li>
>>       <li>This is the third element with a bullet.</li>
>>    </list>
>>
>> With the one you seem to be proposing:
>>
>>    <list style="symbols">
>>          <t>This is part of the second element,
>>          but it does not have a bullet</t></li>
>>    </list>
>>
>> I suspect that someone who just wants to write an Internet draft would prefer the first.
>
> Not convinced.

You're not convinced that someone (maybe almost everyone) would prefer the first? Other than for some XML design reason, why would someone prefer the second?

> Let's not mix block-level elements with text content.

That design goal has little or nothing to do with making it easier to create an Internet Draft, which is a design goal.

A possible third alternative, which makes me cringe a bit but I can see some logic to it, would be:

   <list style="symbols">
      <li>This is the first element with a bullet.</li>
      <li>This is the second element with a bullet.
      <linolabel>This is part of the second element,
         but it does not have a bullet.</linolabel>
      <li>This is the third element with a bullet.</li>
   </list>

That solves your "not mixing block-level elements with text content" problem and still would not force people to have to use two elements everywhere. Thoughts?

--Paul Hoffman