[rfc-i] List requirements for v3

Riccardo Bernardini framefritti at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 00:26:39 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2014-02-13 02:59, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> Now, with better subject lines! :-)
>>
>> On Feb 12, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Jim Schaad <ietf at augustcellars.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a requirement to allow for figures to show up in <li> elements
>>> as
>>> well?
>>

>> Not yet, but it seems sensible to me. I can certainly imagine places where
>> it would be useful. Are there any objections (assuming that we keep the <li>
>> idea)?
>

> Yes. Figures do not belong into lists. For instance, they come with their
> own alignment attributes.

I agree.  Figures are independent objects, not necessarily bound to a
specific piece of text: they can be referenced in many places, text
may flow around them, they can be moved around to get a better page
layout (yes, I know that the page layout will be Jurassically obsolete
when we will move to a non-paged, free-flowing format... :-).
Therefore, a figure cannot "belong" to a list.

> What *is* needed is the ability to embed preformatted examples into lists.
> Right now we abuse figures for that, but once we have a better element for
> that, it should be allowed anywhere <t> is allowed.

I agree also about this.    I can imagine cases where pre-formatted
text is part of an existing paragraph <t> (e.g., snippet of codes).

Best regards, Riccardo