[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Feb 12 09:53:56 PST 2014

On 2/12/2014 8:13 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> I do not think going down the path of DOI for I-Ds would be a good idea.
>   I know the urban legend of the disappearing-after-6-months I-D has been
> largely squashed, but I would still rather avoid adding another layer of
> permanence.  An I-D should get its RFC number and DOI only after it has
> completed the process of consensus (if applicable) and review.

Well, it's really not just "largely" squashed.  The current situation is
more institutionalized than that.

First, they are now formally made available on a permanent basis.  We
finally made the proper distinction between 'availability' and 'status'.

Second, the corpus is already regularly consulted for research and legal
purposes.  That is, it's already has on-going global importance.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking