[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Wed Feb 12 08:25:37 PST 2014

On 2/12/14 8:16 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 2/12/2014 8:06 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>> In looking at this from a publisher perspective, assigning DOIs to
>> publications is considered a best practice for the scientific and
>> technical community.
>

> Heather, you just don't understand.  The IETF is a force unto itself.
> We've been around a long time. Hell, we changed the world.  So
> everyone should know how to access our documents, without having to
> use someone else's citation conventions.  What we've got has been
> working for decades, so it doesn't matter what other folk do or want.

Ah, thank you for the clarification and the motivation to review my
understanding of the differences between "sarcasm", "irony", and
"satire".  :-)

(A nice short description of those differences, if you're interested:
<http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/english/melani/english2/handouts/irony.pdf>.
But this does take us well beyond the intended discussion on this thread.)

-Heather