[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Feb 12 08:03:21 PST 2014

On 2/11/2014 2:15 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> John Levine has written an I-D on assigning Digital Object Identifiers
> (DOIs) to RFCs.  This draft has been accepted by the IAB as an IAB
> stream draft.
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-doi/

Forgive my veering from the dominant focus of this thread, so I can
provide some actual content feedback, but...

1. It probably would be useful to have the document provide more
justification and use text, to make clear what the benefits of adding
DOIs to RFCs (and Internet-Drafts?) will be.

2. Section two provides the actual format specification.

      a) I suggest adding ABNF to this, along the lines of:

              ietf-doi:       doi-url "/" ietf-specific

              doi-url:        "http://dx.doi.org/"

              ietf-specific:  "10.123456" "/" ietf-series "/" series-num

              ietf-series:    "bcp", "std", "rfc"

              series-num:     1*(0-9)

      b) As indicated in the above bnf, I suggest separating the series
label from the document number through a syntax convention, rather than
requiring the parser to know all the strings.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking