[rfc-i] References for non-standards

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Feb 12 07:11:42 PST 2014

On 2014-02-12 16:03, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this has been hashed on this list before.
>
> Looking at the latest draft, it is very convenient to reference IETF,

I'd call that a controversial proposal :-)

> W3C, 3GPP etc. documents. But I have had the experience of referencing
> generic academic articles, and this is no fun at all. However, most such
> articles have a bibtext citation readily available. Often there's even a
> stable URL for the citation. So I would want to have something like:
>
> <reference type="bibtext> <!-- Note: anchor is taken from the bibtex
> citation, Rivest78amethod -->
>      <![CDATA[
>      @ARTICLE{Rivest78amethod,
>      author = {R.L. Rivest and A. Shamir and L. Adleman},
>      title = {A Method for Obtaining Digital Signatures and Public-Key
> Cryptosystems},
>      journal = {Communications of the ACM},
>      year = {1978},
>      volume = {21},
>      pages = {120--126}
>      }
>      ]]>
> </reference>
>
> And/or, using an external bibliographic database:
>
> <reference type="bibtex"
> citation="http://www.bibsonomy.org/bib/bibtex/2dc77f98a96af657a3c2cdfe1496b94f9/phbaer"/>

...or maybe a service that can translate bixtex to <reference>s?

> Some time ago I created a simple Bibtex-to-XMLbib conversion utility
> (https://github.com/yaronf/bibtex2rfc) which can be adapted to implement
> this kind of functionality.

See :-)

I'd prefer the vocabulary to have a single way to express references.
Instead, we should improve the tool. If you can send me a set of XMLbib
examples, I'll try to come up with a conversion utility.

Best regards, Julian