[rfc-i] References for non-standards

Yaron Sheffer yaronf.ietf at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 07:03:07 PST 2014

Hi,

Apologies if this has been hashed on this list before.

Looking at the latest draft, it is very convenient to reference IETF,
W3C, 3GPP etc. documents. But I have had the experience of referencing
generic academic articles, and this is no fun at all. However, most such
articles have a bibtext citation readily available. Often there's even a
stable URL for the citation. So I would want to have something like:

<reference type="bibtext> <!-- Note: anchor is taken from the bibtex
citation, Rivest78amethod -->
     <![CDATA[
     @ARTICLE{Rivest78amethod,
     author = {R.L. Rivest and A. Shamir and L. Adleman},
     title = {A Method for Obtaining Digital Signatures and Public-Key
Cryptosystems},
     journal = {Communications of the ACM},
     year = {1978},
     volume = {21},
     pages = {120--126}
     }
     ]]>
</reference>

And/or, using an external bibliographic database:

<reference type="bibtex"
citation="http://www.bibsonomy.org/bib/bibtex/2dc77f98a96af657a3c2cdfe1496b94f9/phbaer"/>

Some time ago I created a simple Bibtex-to-XMLbib conversion utility
(https://github.com/yaronf/bibtex2rfc) which can be adapted to implement
this kind of functionality.

Thanks,
     Yaron