[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Feb 11 21:28:38 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>> On Feb 11, 2014, at 6:42 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
>> "RFC" is a local namespace, with no formalized global anchoring.
>
> Add www.rfc-editor.org
>
> Just like DOIs are meaningless without a dereferencing URL.

Or a universally-agreed resolution protocol.  We don't really have
such a thing for RFCs -- the code in the RFC2648 appendixes is not
really such a protocol.  Perhaps we need such a protocol.  Perhaps
DOI's protocol can serve us.

You and I and all the search engines tend to know how to search for
RFCs.  The search engines are not as good for finding documents in
sub-series like STD (think about it).

My p.o.v. is that DOIs don't hurt and very likely help.  Why *not*
assign DOIs to RFCs?

Nico