[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 11 18:42:43 PST 2014

On 2/11/2014 2:56 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
> Less about this specific document than the need for it at all...
> I don't see the benefit in creating another level of indirection for
> RFCs.
> I similarly don't think its useful to include DOIs as part of citations.

"RFC" is a local namespace, with no formalized global anchoring.

Let me stress that:  We have no globally unique naming scheme for our
documents.  What we have is a global /addressing/ scheme, but that's not
very helpful when the document is stored elsewhere, absent a human
making the judgement about whether it is one of /our/ RFCs.

DOIs will fix that.

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking