[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue Feb 11 16:23:41 PST 2014

On 2/11/2014 3:57 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> I don't see the benefit in creating another level of indirection for
>> RFCs.
>
> There really are journals and such that want DOIs on their references,
> and there really are indexes that hide their copies of RFCs behind a
> paywall.  See for example, this entry in the ACM Digital Library, with
> a link that will offer to sell you a copy of RFC 1034 for $15:
>
> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=RFC1034&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE&CFID=291229312&CFTOKEN=88882203
>
> Just because you and I know how to work around that doesn't mean
> everyone else does.  If there were a DOI, that would be a direct link
> to the DOI database which would redirect to a web page under our
> control, for free.

They already support a URL as well anyway.

> Also, DOIs have some practical advantages for people writing papers in
> that software can easily extract the bibliographic information for any
> DOI, and software like bibtex can expand it into nice looking
> references.

It's just "yet another" place to look for such info. We can easily just
provide the bibtex.

Again, I still see no real benefit and some potential harm, but as long
as we don't have to use them, it's not better or worse than any other
external index system (modulo the financial and admin cost).

Joe