[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Tue Feb 11 15:10:40 PST 2014

On 2014-02-11 3:01 PM, Nico Williams wrote:

> Who pays?  Are there cost estimates?  $1 per-RFC for all past RFCs can
> get expensive for a volunteer organization.

I was also curious about this. The draft says the current catalog can be
bulk-processed for US$0.15 per DOI, or a little over $1k, so not
significant compared to the ongoing membership and new document fees. Is
the intent that the IETF would pay for this?

A brief estimate from online sources suggests DOI organizations raise
$2.5M per year in membership fees, and about $12M in accumulated
document fees. As the rfc-editor can attest, that is in fact enough to
maintain a document database service.

 -r