[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Feb 11 15:06:27 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
> I similarly don't think its useful to include DOIs as part of citations.

I think including as many stable identifiers for a referenced document
as possible might have some value.  For RFC series documents, of
course, there'd be no need.  But for external references there may be
value in this.

As to assigning DOIs to RFCs, for the time being I'm agnostic on that
issue.  I suppose total cost (for retroactive DOI assignments; not
stated, but assuming the stated marginal cost it seems like "a lot for
a volunteer organization") and marginal cost (apparently $1/RFC, which
may well be reasonable) need to be considered first.

Nico