[rfc-i] DOIs and RFCs

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue Feb 11 14:56:20 PST 2014

Hi, all,

Less about this specific document than the need for it at all...

I don't see the benefit in creating another level of indirection for
RFCs. We already have the rfc-editor URL as a way to identify them;
citing them using an additional level of indirection through a separate
service that may or may not be around in 20 years seems to be of no
particular benefit and a lot of potential harm. E.g., the ACM Digital
Library should link to the rfc-editor URL, which avoids dependence on
DOI URL redirection.

I similarly don't think its useful to include DOIs as part of citations.

Joe