[rfc-i] On backwards compatibility for v2

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Feb 10 13:32:18 PST 2014

On 2/10/2014 1:05 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> But I really suggest that we discuss this once we get to a decision
> where we actually want to break v2 documents. Right now it's an entirely
> academic argument.

That's an entirely reasonable approach.

However I've frequently watched people back into breaking the installed
base, either without realizing it because they weren't paying attention,
or because they are swept up by the wave of momentary enthusiasm.

Having an up-front declaration that backward compatibility is a
requirement -- that v2 docs can be directly processed by a v3 engine --
imposes a useful discipline on the way people thing about enhancements.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking