[rfc-i] On backwards compatibility for v2

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Feb 10 12:50:32 PST 2014

On 2014-02-10 20:16, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> On 2/10/14 9:03 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
>> On 2/10/2014 8:11 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>> - There will be good v2-to-v3 conversion tools for when an author
>>> wants to change versions.
>>

>> So all of the existing corpus of xml2rfc files would have to be
>> converted, and all of the existing base of user environments would have
>> to be upgraded?
>>
>> Really?
>>

> If an RFC has an XML file, and if that RFC is going to go through a -bis
> process, then they could run through a converter tool to use v3
> vocabulary.  But wholesale updates to everything, given they aren't
> canonical files and generally don't include the final updates made
> immediately prior to publication?  Why would we do that?

For instance, because, at some point, we may want to publish even older
XMLs in the new format.

Reminder: whether the XML source that we have on archive is an accurate
representation of the published RFC can be determined programatically
(by rerunning xml2rfc, and diffing with the published plain text).

Best regards, Julian