[rfc-i] On backwards compatibility for v2

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Feb 10 12:16:59 PST 2014

On 2/10/2014 12:13 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> If so, could the (web) interface just choose the tool that is right for
> any given xml file? That would make life simpler.

Oh my goodness, I hope this is not a path that is taken.

The idea is that the new tool needs to be able to process an older
version of xml2rfc file, because the new version of xml2rfc is simply  a
superset of the old.  That's real backward compatibility: the old stuff
still works directly in the new environment, rather than requiring the
new stuff to 'revert' to the old environment.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking