[rfc-i] On backwards compatibility for v2

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Feb 10 11:35:28 PST 2014

On 2/10/2014 10:29 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I still believe that we can get to a reasonable v3 without having to
> break existing (valid) documents.

It is very easy to neglect installed base.  (Take a look at IPv6 as a
particularly unfortunate example; it could have been done as a
largely-compatible upgrade to v4, rather than forcing an independent stack.)

So I suggest declaring backward compatibility an explcit requirement,
just so no one else gets confused.

Might even want to say that the conversion tool is for those who happen
to want to upgrade, but that it isn't required.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking