[rfc-i] On backwards compatibility for v2

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Mon Feb 10 11:16:29 PST 2014

On 2/10/14 9:03 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 2/10/2014 8:11 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> - There will be good v2-to-v3 conversion tools for when an author
>> wants to change versions.
>

> So all of the existing corpus of xml2rfc files would have to be
> converted, and all of the existing base of user environments would have
> to be upgraded?
>
> Really?

If an RFC has an XML file, and if that RFC is going to go through a -bis
process, then they could run through a converter tool to use v3
vocabulary.  But wholesale updates to everything, given they aren't
canonical files and generally don't include the final updates made
immediately prior to publication?  Why would we do that?

-Heather