[rfc-i] Proposal for better lists in v3

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Feb 10 10:35:21 PST 2014

On 2014-02-10 19:18, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2014, at 11:35 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> You chose to remove my:
>>
>> 5) Text content in attributes (hangText attribute) is bad.
>
> Correct. I retained the requirements that were about making lists more intuitive, not requirements that were about XML conventions.

"Text content in attributes" isn't bad because of XML conventions, but
because it makes it impossible to nest tags.

>>> Proposal:

>> I'd rephrase that as either inline content or a limited set of block-level elements (just t); but either one or the other.
>
> Is that proposal about making lists more intuitive, or XML conventions? It feels like the latter to me.

I was just rephrasing it in terms of element classes.

>>> - Add a new style of "dictionary", the <li> element has an optional attribute of "definition".
>>
>> I believe this makes the model worse because it adds more special cases (a new style-specific attribute).
>
> What is wrong with style-specific attributes? Errors in using them can be caught trivially by the processor.

Style-specific attributes make the vocabulary more complex. Sometimes
they may be necessary, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't think twice
before adding them.

>>> - Remove the "empty" style (to be replaced by a new <blockquote> entity).
>>
>> I'd rather keep it; I've seen lists using this style. I just don't want to see it abused to generate things that are not lists. If everything that needs indentation now switches to blockquote instead of list no matter whether it was a quote we have made things worse

Well, they can be differentiated because each list item is a paragraph.
I don't use them, but they seem to be used frequently.

Best regards, Julian