[rfc-i] Proposal for v3 to simplify most references

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Feb 10 09:01:47 PST 2014

On Feb 10, 2014, at 8:52 AM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
> <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>> One of the things I expect is that the final XML will be fairly
>> self-contained.  In this case, that would mean that the final, canonical
>> XML file would contain the references pulled from the citation library
>> at the time of publication.
>
> That's a good idea.
>
> I wouldn't mind if stable references are left as references through an
> external reference library, but it'd have to be a library maintained
> by the RFC-Editor, as otherwise there's no way to guarantee stability.

This is a good point. As part of the proposal, I'll add "the library used for expansion of the references is maintained by the RFC Editor". That doesn't prevent someone from turning in a document with their own fully-described <reference>s, but it makes it clear that if you use the easier version, the RFC Editor will be the expander.

--Paul Hoffman