[rfc-i] Proposal for v3 to simplify most references

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Feb 10 08:52:32 PST 2014

>>>    <library name="RFC-Editor"/>
>>>    <library name="my-lib" ref="URI to my reference library">
>>
>> Sounds utterly unstable for any library other than the RFC Editor's.
>
> How is that different from what we have now?  For I-D sources that's
> fine, whereas for RFC sources the RFC-Editor would ensure that only
> standard reference libraries would be used (and any other references
> in-lined, or similar).

I'm not at all thrilled by a feature that lets random people who submit
I-Ds put in active code that makes xml2rfc fetch random posssibly hostile
URLs.  Kaboom.  It doesn't have to make xml2rfc do anything particularly
evil, just making it crash or hang (imagine a hostile URL that trickles
the bytes out very slowly) would screw up a lot of automated scripts.

Regards,