[rfc-i] Proposal for v3 to simplify most references

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Feb 8 21:20:49 PST 2014

>Are there any objections to this addition to the v3 vocabulary?

If we plan for the XML to be the definitive version of documents, I
would not be thrilled about this:

  <reference anchor="IPRNEW" bcp="79"/>  # Will expand to RFC 3979 and RFC 4879

If that's in some RFC published today, and in a couple of years, we
publish RFC 10979 that updates the IPR rules and becomes the new BCP79,
what will people get when they render the XML?

This isn't an insoluble problem, but if the XML is definititive, even
the current situation implicitly depends on the entries in the
citation libraries never changing.

R's,
John