[rfc-i] Author Names/ids

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Wed Apr 30 16:34:00 PDT 2014

On 4/29/14, 11:10 PM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> [I have changed the subject again, because we are discussing the general
> problem, not limited at all to non-ASCII names.]
>
> On 2014/04/30 07:33, Nico Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Brian E Carpenter
>> <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for motivations for IETF contributors to go to the bother
>>> of registering for an ORCID. "Heather says so" might not be enough.
>>
>> If it costs money then I agree.  Otherwise it's a terribly minor
>> imposition.  Who would refuse?  On what grounds?  And anyways, it
>> could be an AUTH48 suggestion, not a requirement.  If the author
>> doesn't want to.. their problem.
>
> I'd also want to mention the possibility that somebody not active
> anymore in the IETF won't update the information at ORCID, and the
> possibility that somebody creates a new identity because they are e.g.
> ashamed about older work.
>
> In these cases, we would just be back to square one (which, as Paul has
> tried to point out with his rhetoric question, isn't such a big problem).

If I thought proper long-term author identification was a tractable
problem that the IETF or the RFC Editor could reasonably solve, I would
be all in favor of trying to create something better than what currently
exists.  As it is, this is a rat hole that someone else is tackling, so
let's reuse their work.  The ORCID system has some pretty serious
support in the publishing world, and it provides that unique identifier
we're looking for.

I am not going to require authors sign up for an ORCID.  If an author
wants to provide one, I will be happy to include it in the Author's
Address section.

-Heather