[rfc-i] CDATA, was: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-06.txt

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 30 09:41:58 PDT 2014

On 4/30/14 12:19 PM, Dale R. Worley wrote:
>> From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu>
>>
>> I have had occasion to include blocks of XML as artwork in a draft.
>> Doing this using escaping is really unpleasant. Using CDATA helps a lot.
>> But of course you can still get in trouble with ]]>. I wish there was
>> some better solution for those cases, that would allow copy/paste of the
>> xml source.
>
> As Paul Hoffman noted, you can clean up the copy&paste by replacing
>
>      ]]>
>
> with
>
>      ]]]]><![CDATA[>
>
> throughout.  Your editor should have a command that can do that.  All
> solutions will require escaping *something*, because otherwise there's
> no way to detect the end of the text to be interpreted literally.

Yes, I know. I was thinking of boundaries in mime multipart, where I can
specify an arbitrary delimiter. But this is really a XML issue, not an
xml2rfc issue.

What about having an include mechanism that indicates the included
content is to be treated as plain text, not xml? And when a processor
*generates* a canonical XML without external references, it could then
do the needed escaping.

	Thanks,
	Paul