[rfc-i] Author Names/ids (was: I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt)

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Apr 29 20:10:28 PDT 2014

[I have changed the subject again, because we are discussing the general
problem, not limited at all to non-ASCII names.]

On 2014/04/30 07:33, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for motivations for IETF contributors to go to the bother
>> of registering for an ORCID. "Heather says so" might not be enough.
>
> If it costs money then I agree.  Otherwise it's a terribly minor
> imposition.  Who would refuse?  On what grounds?  And anyways, it
> could be an AUTH48 suggestion, not a requirement.  If the author
> doesn't want to.. their problem.

I'd also want to mention the possibility that somebody not active
anymore in the IETF won't update the information at ORCID, and the
possibility that somebody creates a new identity because they are e.g.
ashamed about older work.

In these cases, we would just be back to square one (which, as Paul has
tried to point out with his rhetoric question, isn't such a big problem).

Regards,   Martin.