[rfc-i] group attribute (was Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-06.txt)

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Mon Apr 28 12:55:20 PDT 2014

On 4/28/14, 2:47 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2014, at 11:38 AM, Tony Hansen <tony at att.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for adding this. Here is a suggestion for a slight change to how group and start interact:
>>
>> Current text:
>>
>>      When a processor sees an <ol> element with a "group" attribute that
>>      has already been seen, the processor continues the numbering of the
>>      list from where the previous list with the same group name left off.
>>      This action is overridden by the "start" attribute; that is, if an
>>      <ol> element has both a "group" and "start" attribute, the "start"
>>      attribute takes precedence.
>>
>> Suggested text:
>>      When a processor sees an <ol> element with a "group" attribute that
>>      has already been seen, the processor continues the numbering of the
>>      list from where the previous list with the same group name left off.
>>      If an <ol> element has both a "group" and "start" attribute, the group's
>>      numbering is reset to the given start value.
> I'm not seeing where those two are different. Was your wording a clarification, or an intended change?
>
> --Paul Hoffman

A reasonable interpretation of your text:
<ol group=a><li>        1
<li>        2
</ol>
<ol group=a start=5><li>        5
<li>        6
<li>        7
</ol>
<ol group=a ><li>        3
<li>        4
<li>        5
</ol>

Saying that the start attribute takes precedence indicates that the
group name is ignored for that list.

My text:
<ol group=a><li>        1
<li>        2
</ol>
<ol group=a start=5><li>        5
<li>        6
<li>        7
</ol>
<ol group=a ><li>        8
<li>        9
<li>        10
</ol>

Saying that the start attribute resets the group's value affects later
uses of that group name.

     Tony