[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Apr 28 09:43:51 PDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On 4/28/14 9:54 AM, Russ Housley wrote:
>>
>> I think it is an interesting idea to use a URN for RFC authors, but I do
>> not think that the URN should be urn:ietf:author...  There are many RFCs
>> that are not part of the IETF Stream.
>

> It could allow *any* URN (or *any* URI), with the ietf issuing URNs to any
> potential author who wants one.

Or the RFC-Editor could provide the relevant namespace.

We still _also_ need ORCIDs (yes, they are ugly).  And a lookup
service for any author URNs (i.e., they need to be URLs, but lets not
bring that discussion here), which I'm sure the RFC-Editor won't want
to run.

Are ORCID URIs resolvable to machine parseable results?  Yes, there is
an API that uses XML.  It took a while to find it...  Here's the
1.2_rc4 XSD:

https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/orcid-model/src/main/resources/orcid-message-1.2_rc4.xsd

I can't say I'm a fan of ORCIDs, but, a) I suspect it's unlikely that
we'll bother setting up something "better", b) whatever, I'll take
ORCIDs over nothing.

Nico