[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Mon Apr 21 11:15:06 PDT 2014

While search engines are nice, I would really like to be able to
recognize the name of authors.  I would like to be able to tell with
reasonable confidence without searching whether two drafts are probably
by the same person.  I can do that in English.  I can do that in various
European languages, because I can just ignore the odd symbols and get close.

But beyond that, the question of what symbol set I can apply that to
becomes murky, and different for different readers.  (Expecting it for
English is fair since we state that we work in English.)

So for any name which does not use ASCII characters as it's primary
representation, it REALLY helps if there is an ASCII representation.
This is not about English vs German, Swedish, or French.  It is about
allowing folks who use a range of character sets to represent their
names, while still making something recognizable (probably pronounced
wrong, but at least recognizable) for the readers.

Yours,
Joel