[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Mon Apr 21 10:45:37 PDT 2014

On 4/18/14, 6:02 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>  Person names may appear in several places within an RFC. In all
>>  cases, valid Unicode is required. For names that include non-ASCII
>>  characters, an author-provided, ASCII-only identifier is required to
>>  assist in search and indexing of the document.
>
> How about making a strong request that authors of multiple documents
> use the same ASCII-only identifier consistently over time?
>
> (Logically the same would apply to company names too.)

Hi,

In my ideal world (a very nice place, and it has ponies) we would use
ORCID or something like it to uniquely identify authors across their
various employers so that everything from handling errata to unambiguous
author searchers would be better.  Unfortunately, my ideal world would
involve quite a bit more in the way of IdM for the RFC Editor and/or the
IETF, and that is just not practical.

That said, this is something we touched on in the revised Style Guide:

"Some variation, such as additional initials or capitalization of family
name, is acceptable but the author should be consistent once they've
selected a name format."

-Heather