[rfc-i] Fallback text for <artwork>

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Apr 21 08:25:59 PDT 2014

On Apr 21, 2014, at 7:08 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On 4/20/14 10:34 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> On Apr 20, 2014, at 2:38 PM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> <artwork>
>>>
>>> The text says:
>>>
>>>   Alternatively, the "src" attribute allows referencing an external
>>>   graphics file, such as a bitmap or a vector drawing, using a URI.  In
>>>   this case, the textual content acts as fallback for output formats
>>>   that do not support graphics, and thus ought to contain either a
>>>   "line art" variant of the graphics, or otherwise prose that describes
>>>   the included image in sufficient detail.
>>>
>>> If "src" is used, and the content is a textual description, then it might be desirable for that content to be flowed, rather than forcing it to be manually formatted.
>>>
>>> (But I don't have a great idea of exactly how to specify that.)
>>
>> Well, do try again because I'm not understanding your comment at all, but I think it might be important.
>
> IIUC, the text I quoted above means that I can include an src attribute that provides the preferred form of the figure, and the textual content could be either line art or prose as backup for formats that can't use the preferred form. Suppose I want to use prose as the backup. Because the prose is artwork text, it won't be wrapped, indented, etc. But I might *want* the prose form to formatted like other text.

Got it. The "fallback text" is meant as prose for vision-impaired people. In that case, wrapping and indentation is not needed (although it is not harmful).

Possibly you were thinking that the "fallback text" would be displayed in the non-canonical text version of the RFC; that is not my intention. I believe that that document should have a URL to the art in case the person reading that format wants to fetch it. Going forward, we assume that HTML an PDF will be strongly preferred for people reading RFCs, and we're not making much effort to make the text-only documents that useful. Someone reading the text-only version should be able to get the art, of course, so the URL will be useful to them.

--Paul Hoffman