[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Mon Apr 21 02:11:11 PDT 2014

On 19 Apr 2014, at 23:52, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Person names may appear in several places within an RFC. In all cases, valid Unicode is required. For names that include non ASCII characters, an author-provided, ASCII-only identifier is required to assist in search and indexing of the document.
>>
>> How about making a strong request that authors of multiple documents use the same ASCII-only identifier consistently over time?
>>
>> (Logically the same would apply to company names too.)
>
> I don't think this would be wise.
>
> People get married, divorced, change their legal names, and/or adopt nicknames (should I be Nicolás, Nicolas, Nico, or Nick?  that’s my business, not the RFC-Editor's or anyone else's).
>
> Companies merge, get acquired, get spun off, ...  When Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems, Inc., should I have continued to use Sun as the name of my then-employer in my I-Ds?  No, absolutely not.
>
> Perhaps we should assign authors a stable identifier.  Perhaps an
> email address @ietf.org or @authors.ietf.org, or some such.  That
> would be great, as it would facilitate contacting of authors when
> their work addresses change.

There are already organisations attempting to provide such stable author identifiers (e.g., http://orcid.org). While we certainly don’t want to require such identifiers be used, the format could allow them as OPTIONAL elements in the <author> tag for those authors who have them, and are interested in providing this continuity.

(I think this is possible today, by including an ORCID identifier as an additional <uri> in the <address>; we might consider mentioning this use for the URIs in the xml2rfc draft)

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/