[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Apr 21 01:20:45 PDT 2014

On 2014/04/21 12:23, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2014, at 8:11 PM, Ole Jacobsen <olejacobsen at me.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if there is an absolute standard and agreed-upon way
>> to do this,
>
> There is not. In fact, there is not even well-agreed-to standard. There are lots of not-well-agreed-to ones.

Yes indeed. Countries may have different standards. A single country may
have different standard for different languages. A country may leave
some parts to the individual, at least on request. Individuals may
prefer something else than what their passport authority does
(my understanding is that Patrik prefers Faltstrom, even if his passport
may have something else (which I don't know)).

>> Dürst appearing as DUERST and so on, but I would be
>> surprised if the IETF would need to invent one.
>
> It is fortunate that we do not need to invent one because we cannot.

We indeed don't need to invent one. Our authors are grown-ups who know
how to deal with their own name. As the past has shown, that includes
authors who's name in the original written form includes non-ASCII
characters.

Regards,   Martin.