[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

Ole Jacobsen olejacobsen at me.com
Sun Apr 20 20:11:44 PDT 2014

It appears that "International Authorities" (passport control people)
have "solved" this problem by using "ASCII-fied" versions, at least
for the machine-readable parts of the name. I don't want to bet, but
I am going to guess that Fältström is "encoded" as FAELTSTROEM in the
OCR part of his pasport, that is at least how my middle name Jørgen
appears: JOERGEN. (On my passport the name appears both ways, but the
part that gets swiped by the optical reader certainly says JOERGEN.)

I don't know if there is an absolute standard and agreed-upon way
to do this, Dürst appearing as DUERST and so on, but I would be
surprised if the IETF would need to invent one.

God Påske!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher