[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Sat Apr 19 16:17:33 PDT 2014

* Nico Williams wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Brian E Carpenter
><brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How about making a strong request that authors of multiple documents
>> use the same ASCII-only identifier consistently over time?
>>
>> (Logically the same would apply to company names too.)
>
>I don't think this would be wise.
>
>People get married, divorced, change their legal names, and/or adopt
>nicknames (should I be Nicolás, Nicolas, Nico, or Nick?  that's my
>business, not the RFC-Editor's or anyone else's).

While I agree that making such a request would not be wise, I do not
think it should be left entirely up to you how you identify yourself,
or how the RFC Editor identifies you or your author- or editorship, in
IETF/RFC publications; to some extent, it is other people's business.

>Perhaps we should assign authors a stable identifier.  Perhaps an
>email address @ietf.org or @authors.ietf.org, or some such.  That
>would be great, as it would facilitate contacting of authors when
>their work addresses change.

The local part of such an address would have the very issue you note
above, and the mail address would not work either, because people are
not going to update it. You are far more likely to reach me under my
bjoern at hoehrmann.de address for the rest of my life than any alias.

There is also the view that once you publish an RFC the subject matter
becomes a shared, common, community-maintained good, as author/editor
you are done with it and responsibility for maintenance no longer rests
with you, so being able to contact people should be unimportant.

(More interesting would be subject matter addresses, like a mailing
list for people interested in RFCXXXX, where authors and editors might
maintain a subscription if they continue to care about their work.)