[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-flanagan-nonascii-01.txt

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Sat Apr 19 15:52:03 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Person names may appear in several places within an RFC. In all
>>  cases, valid Unicode is required. For names that include non-ASCII
>>  characters, an author-provided, ASCII-only identifier is required to
>>  assist in search and indexing of the document.
>
> How about making a strong request that authors of multiple documents
> use the same ASCII-only identifier consistently over time?
>
> (Logically the same would apply to company names too.)

I don't think this would be wise.

People get married, divorced, change their legal names, and/or adopt
nicknames (should I be Nicolás, Nicolas, Nico, or Nick?  that's my
business, not the RFC-Editor's or anyone else's).

Companies merge, get acquired, get spun off, ...  When Oracle acquired
Sun Microsystems, Inc., should I have continued to use Sun as the name
of my then-employer in my I-Ds?  No, absolutely not.

Perhaps we should assign authors a stable identifier.  Perhaps an
email address @ietf.org or @authors.ietf.org, or some such.  That
would be great, as it would facilitate contacting of authors when
their work addresses change.

Nico