[rfc-i] draft-iab-styleguide-02 on referencing STDs

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Apr 15 10:23:18 PDT 2014

This thread convinces me that normative references to STDs/BCPs in
published Standards-Track RFCs are a bad idea in general, with perhaps
occasional exceptions that I'd want the IESG to approve.

I-Ds could have such references, but they'd have to be converted to
references to RFCs at publication time, or at IESG review time
perhaps.

This makes STD/BCP reference format and tool support for that somewhat
less important.  The simplest way forward in the short term would be
to simply not permit any references to STDs/BCPs.  But Informative
references to STDs/BCPs might still need to be allowed.

Nico