[rfc-i] Inconsistency about the Chicago Manual Of Style in draft-iab-styleguide-02.txt

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Mon Apr 14 16:18:57 PDT 2014

On Apr 14, 2014, at 4:25 PM, Barry Leiba <barryleiba at computer.org> wrote:
> Geez-Louise; I *like* the double space.

The reason that the RFC style guide might disagree with Chicago on this is that we (historically) do fixed-width fonts, and Chicago is aimed more at typeset print, which looks better with monospacing because the monospace is likely an em, not an en.  Fixed-width font text looks terrible with single spacing.

This is a moot point in the case of HTML output, since the HTML renderer decides how much space to set after the period, and no amount of ASCII 32 embellishment will change that spacing.   So IMHO we should continue to double-space in fixed-width output, and let the typesetting engine about it in other types of output.