[rfc-i] References to errata

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Mon Apr 14 09:38:29 PDT 2014

On 4/11/14, 7:05 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2014, at 6:27 AM, Russ Housley <housley at vigilsec.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul and Julian:

>>> Please?
>>
>> this would require a rework of the errata database and it would make the existing references to errata useless.  While I see the elegance in your proposal, I do not think it is work the pain of a change.  The current approach works without confusion.
>
> I think you misunderstand Julian's request (or I do). The current draft says:
>
> 4.8.6.5.  Referencing Errata
>
>    The following format is required when a reference to an erratum
>    report is necessary:
>
>       [ErrNNNN]  RFC Errata, Erratum ID NNNN, RFC MMMM.
>
>       [Err1912]  RFC Errata, Erratum ID 1912, RFC 2978.
>
> What Julian wants (and I agree with) is for it to instead say:
>
> 4.8.6.5.  Referencing Errata
>
>    The following format is required when a reference to an erratum
>    report is necessary:
>
>       [ErrNNNN]  RFC Erratum RFCXXXX-NNNN.
>
>       [Err1912]  RFC Erratum RFC2978-1912.

I understand the desire for change in and around the errata system.  I
am opposed to making those changes piecemeal without a much better
understanding of what the entire system needs to look like going
forward.  I think that's a big enough project that it doesn't make sense
to hold up the Style Guide until the errata system is sorted out.

For the revised Style Guide, I'm intending to keep the errata reference
very simple:

4.8.6.5.  Referencing Errata

   The following format is required when a reference to an erratum
   report is necessary:

      [ErrNNNN]  RFC Errata, Erratum ID NNNN, RFC MMMM.

      [Err1912]  RFC Errata, Erratum ID 1912, RFC 2978.

-Heather