[rfc-i] draft-iab-styleguide-02 on referencing STDs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Apr 13 20:19:51 PDT 2014

On 4/13/2014 8:03 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> My simplistic question is:  What is the added value, here, provided by
>> citing STD number rather than RFC number?
> Presumably the STD means whatever the current version is, while the
> RFC is static, but I agree with you that benefit seems pretty marginal.

Actually it doesn't mean "the current version".  When there is a version
transition happening, it initially means "the older version".

But that confusion is just an example of the problem with it.

The idea of aggregating related specs under a common umbrella is
certainly a good idea, but the STD approach hasn't proved useful.

FWIW, for some time I've been playing with an alternative approach,
modeled as a wiki, to allow more structure and more dynamic change:

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking