[rfc-i] draft-iab-styleguide-02 on referencing STDs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Apr 13 10:03:01 PDT 2014

On 4/13/2014 9:53 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> In the ~10 years that I've been working on IETF documents I have rarely
> seen a case where citing a STD or BCP actually had an advantage.
> Also, as one of then authors of a six-part spec that might eventually
> become a STD, I'd really like to understand how it's going to be
> referenced in the mid term.

There were good and reasonable intentions behind creating BCP and STD as
distinct numbering series, but they've proven to be only a hassle,
without any actual benefit.  In the case of STD, it often mostly serves
to create confusion (when the listing is out of sync with the latest

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking