[rfc-i] draft-iab-styleguide-02 on referencing STDs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Apr 13 09:38:25 PDT 2014

On 4/12/2014 1:17 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> (2) What I have proposed several times now is that the style
> guide and xml2rfc allow nested references, allowing
>
>   [STDxx]   ...
>        [RFCnnnn] bloggs, J., ....
>        [RFCmmmm] Smith, X., ....

When a special notation is required for a citation, we've got a deeper
problem.

While we might develop the conventions for use within IETF documents, no
one in the rest of the world will know about them.

My simplistic question is:  What is the added value, here, provided by
citing STD number rather than RFC number?

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking