[rfc-i] v3: <tindent> feedback

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sun Apr 13 08:41:40 PDT 2014

On Apr 13, 2014, at 5:22 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-04#section-2.50>:
>
> > 2.50. <tindent>
> >

> >    Contains a paragraph of text.  The paragraph is displayed with the
> >    left and right paragraph margins indented from the page margins.
>
> Both sides? I don't think that matches the use cases where people currently abuse lists.

Right. It matches what you see in real-world publishing for items like notes. v2 doesn't give the author a chance to abuse something that indents on both sides.

> The content model needs to contain block-level elements (the same is true for <blockquote>, btw).

How would this make sense from a formatting perspective? In specific, what would expect

<tindent>
Here is a sentence.
<t>
Here is another sentence.
</t>
Here is a third sentence.
</tindent>

to render as?

Given that <tindent> and <blockquote> mess with the margins, and margins are extremely important visual cues, it seems safer to not let them enclose block-level items whose indentation also give cues.

> Maybe it's worth looking at <http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/aside.html>.

Seen. Can you say what part of that description you think is relevant here? It could be that "<tindent> should be like an aside", or something else.

--Paul Hoffman