[rfc-i] Acknowledgements and Contributors as non-sections

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Apr 11 13:04:26 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2014-04-11 18:05, Nico Williams wrote:
>>
>> I'm missing something.  What's the problem with unnumbered sections?
>>
>> They can still have anchors.  They can still be referenced from within
>> the document as well as from outside.  If xml2rfc can't generate said
>> anchors or references, well, then it should learn.
>
> Well, it's harder to reference them, in particular in the current (plain
> text) format.

Why?   Instead of #section-<n> you'd have #<unnumbered-section-anchor>
as the URI fragment.

Unnumbered sections would have to have user-defined anchors to be
referenceable, something like:

<section unnumbered="true" anchor="ackowledgements" title="Acknowledgements">

>> Unnumbered sections work just fine in other systems.
>
> Example?

LyX (and therefore LaTeX).

>> I'd rather have unnumbered sections than untitled numbered
>> sections/appendices.
>
> Who proposed those?

I thought Paul did in the message I responded to (see In-Reply-To).  I
didn't quote him, sorry.

Nico