[rfc-i] Acknowledgements and Contributors as non-sections

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Apr 11 09:32:35 PDT 2014

On Apr 11, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

> I'm missing something.  What's the problem with unnumbered sections?

There are none.

> They can still have anchors.  They can still be referenced from within
> the document as well as from outside.  If xml2rfc can't generate said
> anchors or references, well, then it should learn.
>
> Unnumbered sections work just fine in other systems.

Fully agree.

> I'd rather have unnumbered sections than untitled numbered sections/appendices.

Yep. But I also don't feel it is important that Acknowledgements and Contributors are unnumbered. Having a number or letter on those sections doesn't degrade them at all.

> If updating xml2rfc is out of the question, then sure, deprecating
> unnumbered sections and requiring explicit sections/appendices for
> acknowledgements/author sections would be a decent fallback.

I don't think anyone said it was out of the question. The real question is whether the change, as described in the document, is really needed or desired.

--Paul Hoffman