[rfc-i] Acknowledgements and Contributors as non-sections

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Apr 11 09:31:00 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-11 18:05, Nico Williams wrote:
> I'm missing something.  What's the problem with unnumbered sections?
>
> They can still have anchors.  They can still be referenced from within
> the document as well as from outside.  If xml2rfc can't generate said
> anchors or references, well, then it should learn.

Well, it's harder to reference them, in particular in the current (plain
text) format.

> Unnumbered sections work just fine in other systems.

Example?

> I'd rather have unnumbered sections than untitled numbered sections/appendices.

Who proposed those?

> If updating xml2rfc is out of the question, then sure, deprecating
> unnumbered sections and requiring explicit sections/appendices for
> acknowledgements/author sections would be a decent fallback.

Updating xml2rfc isn't out of the question at all.

What I'm unhappy with is having the Style Guide make requirements on
generated formats, but not having the matching vocabulary discussion for
v3 at the same time.

Best regards, Julian