[rfc-i] Acknowledgements and Contributors as non-sections

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Apr 11 08:49:09 PDT 2014

On Apr 10, 2014, at 11:38 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>>       First-page header                      * [Required]
>>       Title                                    [Required]
>>       Abstract                                 [Required]
>>       RFC Editor or Stream Manager Note      * [Upon request]
>>       Status of this Memo                    * [Required]
>>       Copyright and License Notice           * [Required]
>>       Table of Contents                        [Required]
>>       Body of the Memo                         [Required]
>>         1.  Introduction                       [Required]
>>         2.  Requirement Words (RFC 2119)
>>         3.  ...
>>             MAIN BODY OF THE TEXT
>>         6.  ...
>>         7.  IANA Considerations                [Required in I-D]
>>         8.  Internationalization Considerations
>>         9.  Security Considerations            [Required]
>>         10.  References
>>         10.1.  Normative References
>>         10.2.  Informative References
>>         Appendix A.
>>         Appendix B.
>>       Acknowledgments
>>       Contributors
>>       Author's Address                         [Required]
>

> "Acknowledgements" and "Contributors" are usually just a section (not appendix), because that's the only form xml2rfc can generate. We should  align the tools with the style guide or vice versa. I'll also note that this practice currently isn't followed, so maybe we could just align the style guide with reality?

Julian is correct that this is a big problem, particularly with the formatting given in the Style Guide. The current draft of the Style Guide both says that these are sections and are not sections.

Proposal: say that these are appendices that do not have names. (My real suggestion is to let document authors choose whether these appear as sections or appendices, but you seem to have rejected that already.)

--Paul Hoffman