[rfc-i] Reminder: xml2rfc v2 transition

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Apr 7 18:48:50 PDT 2014

On 2014/04/08 00:05, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Diagnostics for invalid XML (as compared to for XML that doesn't match a particular format)

Just a small point re. terminology. XML that doesn't match a particular
format (as e.g. defined by a DTD) is called invalid. I think what you
mean is non-wellformed XML.

I think messages that express the problem in a way that's easy to
understand for a non-expert are not too hard to create, but the problem
is that usually, an XML parser is used, and that XML parsers tend to use
very XML-specific (originally SGML) terminology that may not be familiar
to many users.

> are incredibly hard to create. It might be valuable for the error messages to at least say "cannot parse the XML" to make that clearer, but trying to chase down edge conditions could take a huge amount of time for very little benefit. I suspect it will be more useful for people with problems to simply take them to the xml2rfc mailing list, as they do now.

That indeed should work.

Regards,   Martin.