[rfc-i] Reminder: xml2rfc v2 transition

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 13:13:14 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-05 21:47, Tony Hansen wrote:
> It's the author's choice as to how much they wish to help or hinder the
> process of getting their draft out the door. Right now the rfc editor
> spends lots of time converting from text and v1 xml to v2 xml before
> starting any further work on the draft. With this announcement, the rfc
> editor's staff is raising the bar on the quality of the xml that they
> expect to receive. If the xml doesn't work with the v2 xml2rfc, they'll
> send it back to the author to fix instead of spending time fixing it
> themselves. This certainly helps the RFC editor's staff to be more
> productive in responding to other work on their plate.
>
> This also sets the expectations on the version of xml that other tools
> should be rendering. For example, if you use Phillip Hallam-Baker's
> markdown tools, and that tool happens to generate something that is not
> acceptable by the v2 processor (note: I'm not saying that it does
> generate anything of the sort), the onus is not on the RFC editor to fix
> up the xml.

I understand this, but if the outcome is that existing XML isn't
submitted and the author sends plain text instead, it's not helpful.

That being said: v2 is supposed to process the same files as v1. The
only difference I'm aware of is that v2 might be more picky with respect
to broken (non-wellformed) XML or invalid XML (which is a good thing!).
If this is what this announcement is about, it needs to be clarified.

Best regards, Julian